Should you upgrade Canon 40D to 50D?
Canon 50D was announced only after one year Canon 40D was introduced. How much improvement is Canon 50D over Canon 40D? Should you upgrade Canon 40D to Canon 50D? Should you buy Canon 40D for $949 or Canon 50D for $1399?
To answer these questions, we need to know what are the major differences of 40D and 50D.
- Canon 50D has a 15.1 MP CMOS sensor comparing with a 10.1 MP CMOS sensor in 40D.
- Canon 50D has ISO 100 to 3200 with extendable to H1 (6400) and H2 (12800). Canon 40D ISO 100 to 1600 with extendable to 3200.
- Canon 50D has a much better live LCD with face detection and three times better resolution (920,000 dots verse 230,000 dots for 40D). According some initial observation of dpreview, the LCD of Canon 50D is even better than Nikon D3.
- Canon 50D uses a digic 4 Image processor and 40D use a digic III image processor.
- Canon 50D has better weather sealing and HDMI output which allow to use with HDTV display.
- Is it worthy to upgrade from 40D to 50D?
I don’t think so. It is nice to have a much better LCD. But for most of people, Canon 40D will deliver excellent image quality.
- Should you buy Canon 40D or Canon 50D?
For people in the market to buy Canon 40D or 50D, if you need it right now, 40D is still a good choice for the lower price. If you can wait, Canon 50D might be a better choice for its LCD display, higher ISO and digic 4 processor.