Canon EOS 450D (XSi) , Canon 40D and Canon 400D (XTi) comparison
What is new?
The recent announcement of Canon rebel 450D or XSi sparks a lot of interests among these who are in the market for an entry level DSLR. Many even thought Canon 450D (XSi ) is much better than Canon 40D . After carefully comparison, here are what I find (please note since Canon XSi will not be available until April, some comparisons here are based on the specifications of Canon XSi not based on actual reviews!)
- Canon 40D has partial weather seal, dust seal at CF card and battery compartment and better building quality, higher max shutter speed (1/8000s, 1/4000s for Canon XSi and Canon XTi) and max frame rate (6.5fps, versus 3.5fps for Canon XSi and 3fps for Canon XTi), higher ISO (3200 versus 1600), longer battery life (1100 versus 500-600), wireless connectivity. For the Canon 40D user guide see here.
- Canon XSi has significant improvement over Canon XTi, including, 12.2 mp CMOS, digic III processor (the same with 40D), live view, spot meter, and 3″ LCD. Canon XSi has improved auto focus and comes with a much better image stabilized kit lens (Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, IS). Canon XSi uses SD/SDHC cards instead of CF card, this will be a welcome for new DSLR users coming from point and shoot cameras which mostly use SD cards. The feature which Canon XSi has but 40D does not have is the live view AF.
- Canon XSi will be sold with the new Canon 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (a good review here) for only $100 more. Canon 18-55mmf/3.5-5.6 IS was sold $188 separately.
- From above discussions, it is easy to see for most of people, Canon XSi with Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS lens is the choice. Canon 40D is more rugged, and faster camera (with 6.5 fps, ISO 3200 and higher shutter speed 1/8000s). For advanced amateur, especially for those who shoot sports photography, or shoot at low light conditions, Canon 40D is the preferred camera.
- To learn how to use Canon XSI, watch this excellent video here.
- Canon XSi or Canon 450D accessories
- Which one should you buy? Canon XSi / Canon 450D or Canon XTi / Canon 400D?
- Which one to buy? Canon XSi (Canon 450D) or Nikon D80, Nikon D40
- Best lens for Canon XSi rebel, Canon 40D, XTi rebel
- Nikon D300 and Canon EOS 40D Comparison
- Best point and shoot cameras to buy: Canon SD1000 and SD950IS