Canon Rebel T2i / EOS 550D best lenses and accessories
Canon Rebel T2i or EOS 550D is the successor of the popular Canon Rebel T1i or 500D. Canon Rebel T2i has one of the best movie modes among all digital SLRs and compares favorably with Nikon D90, Canon 50D and Canon T1i.
Best lenses for Canon T2i or EOS 550D
For beginners, the most affordable options are the kit lens Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS with Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS (buy at the best price, check great deals here). Canon EF-S 55-250mm uses 58 mm filters.
Polarizers can add “wow” factors to your photos: polarizers can saturate color, provide better contrast and remove unwanted reflections from non-metallic surfaces such as water or glass. However, the best walk-around lens to go with Canon T2i would be Canon EF-S 17-55 mm f/2.8 IS USM. This lens is very sharp with constant aperture and 3-stop image stabilization. Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 uses Canon EW-83J hood and 77mm filters.
One of the best telephoto lenses is Canon EF 70-200 mm f/4L IS USM. This lens is one of sharpest lenses around. It is relative light with 4- stop image stabilization. Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS uses 67mm filters.
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 is one of the most popular lenses among beginners. This is a very affordable lens with great image quality and a large aperture. It is great for portrait and low light photography.
For more details on canon lenses, read Best Canon lenses.
Canon T2i or 550D accessories:
- An extra battery: Canon T2i uses a Canon LP-E8 battery pack
- Opteka Battery Pack (best price $69.95 )
- Digital SLR bags: many people like the photo backpack. Canon 200EG backpack is a very good one. Read the best bag for Canon T2i EOS 550D.
A good shoulder bag: Lowepro Rezo 170AW camera bag. If you like a compact bag, Lowpro Rezo TLZ10 is an excellent one.
- Filters: circular polarizer is one of the most useful filters read here. For best polarizer filters, read here. For UV filters and where to buy, read here.
- SDHC/ SD Memory cards: You need at least a couple of memory cards with at least 4G-8G each. Canon T2i uses SD/SDHC cards. The recommend brands are lexar, SanDisk or Kingston. Please read best SD/SDHC cards for Canon T2i or 550D
- External flash: Canon 430EX II or Canon 580EX II or 270EX
- Tripod: Bogen Manfrotto 190XPROB (best price $159) and Bogen-Manfrotto 322RC2 ball head (best price$129).
- Remote control: Remote Switch RS-60E3 or Remote control RC-6
The battery grip is great for Canon T2i or 550D. It not only provides 2x battery power, but also can balance the weight when using heavy lenses on the light T2i body. when shooting in portrait orientaton, the grip comes with its own shutter, aperture, AF lock and AF select buttons as well as another selector dial. To prevent accidental use of these buttons, the grip is also equipped with an ON/OFF switch. If the battery is out of power, you can use 6 AA batteries in the grip. For $80, this five star rated battery grip is a steal!