Canon 7D: best deals, best lenses, accessories and tutorial videos
Canon 7D, the Canon’s new class of APS-C digital SLR for serious photographers, features a new 18 megapixel CMOS sensor, Dual Digic 4 image processors and HD movie capture.
Best lenses for Canon 7D
The best walk around lens is Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. This lens is very sharp with constant and large aperture 2.8. The three stop image stabilization allows to take photos at low light. With the 1.6x factor, Canon 17-55mm corresponds to 27-88mm in a 35mm camera.
The best telephoto lens is Canon EF 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS II USM. This lens is extremely sharp with 4 stop image stabilization. Highly recommended!
If you plan to upgrade to a full frame digital SLR soon, a good lens set up will be Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L ISUSM and Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 is the best full frame wide angle lens available. Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L ISUSM is a great wildlife lens. For more details on the best canon lenses, read here. The other good set up is Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L USM and Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.
Essential accessories for Canon 7D
- Canon BG-E7 battery grip Canon LP-E6 battery
- Canon Deluxe photo backpack 200EG. Shoulder bag: Lowepro Rezo 170AW camera bag
- Canon RS-80N3 remote switch
- External flash: Canon 430EX II or Canon 580EX II
- Others include tripods, UV filters and polarizers, memory cards.
Canon 7D tutorial video;
Canon posted a series of tutorial videos. You can download and watch them on your Canon 7D LCD or iPhone /iPod touch.
Canon EOS 7D firmare version 1.2.1 is now available for download. This version will extend the timing when the high temperature warning appeared and the timing of auto shut down of the camera to the rise of internal temperature, among others.
The key features of Canon 7D:
- 18.0 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processors
- ISO 100-6400 (expandable to 12,800)
- 8.0 fps continuous shooting up to 126 Large/JPEGs with CF card and 15 RAW.
- Advanced movie mode with manual exposure control and selectable frame rates: 1920 x 1080 (Full HD): 30p / 24p / 25p, 1280 x 720 (HD): 60p / 50p, 640 x 480 (SD): 60p / 50p. The 1280 x 720p (HD) at 60 frames per second will be very useful.
- Intelligent Viewfinder with 100% field of view, wide viewing angle of 29.4°, high magnification of 1.0, intelligent viewfinder with glass pentaprism
- New 19-point, all cross-type AF system equipped with dual diagonal cross-type sensors in center at f/2.8 and f/5.6
- Magnesium body with shutter 150,000 cycles and dust and weather resistance.
Canon 7D reviews
Dpreview just posted the in-depth review of Canon 7D: It offers excellent image quality in all shooting situations and an impressive speed of operation, combined with very good build quality and ergonomics. Highly recommended!
Camera Labs reviews of Canon 7D
Good points Tough build and superb ergonomics. 19-point AF and 8fps burst shooting. Big viewfinder with graphics. VGA screen. Adjustable HD resolution and fps with mic input.
Bad points Basic 3-frame exposure bracketing. Single card slot versus dual on D300s. Flash flickers for AF illumination. Image quality surpassed by 5D Mark II
- Very good photo quality, with a good lens
- Low noise levels through ISO 1600 in low light, and ISO 3200 in good light
- New 19-point autofocus system with zone and AF point expansion options
“excellent auto-focus, with a faster and more accurate 19-point system and a number of significant new options that will particularly appeal to action and macro shooters. The metering system, processing and operation times, optical viewfinder and flash system have all been upgraded too, making the EOS 7D one of the most well-specified Canon DSLR to date.”
Canon 7D review from imaging resource Excellent 18-megapixel sensor with impressively low noise and superb detail; Very good high ISO performance, especially for 18-megapixel subframe sensor; Fast burst rate of 8 frames per second; New AF system with 19 cross-type sensors